Springfield College invites applications for the position of Instructional Designer (ID). Reporting directly to the Dean of the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, the ID works closely with faculty and subject matter experts on the development and editing of digital learning objects, learning activities, and course design, as well as instructional design functions including quality assurance, pedagogical consultation, learner analysis, and the development of assessment tools that support the outcomes of the course or program. The ID provides course development and support services to faculty creating and teaching online and blended courses, paying particular attention to creating a leading-edge learning experience that encourages student-student and student-faculty engagement and academic excellence; works closely with the College Library to integrate open educational resources and other electronic and print content into online courses; assists in promoting quality in course/program structure and faculty development/training and is responsible for ensuring that instructional content and course design meet the guidelines outlined by the college and national standards/best practices. Lastly, the ID will play a central role in the implementation of a new, state of the art learning management system (LMS) and will co-lead a complete redesign of the course delivery model at Springfield College. Founded in 1885, Springfield College is a private, regionally accredited, coeducational institution offering undergraduate and graduate programs that reflect its distinctive Humanics Philosophy—the education of the whole person in spirit, mind, and body for leadership in service to humanity. The School of Professional and Continuing Studies is a growing multi-campus program located in New England, the mid-Atlantic region, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, and California. Our mission is to provide broadly accessible higher education in human services to adult learners, supported by the principles of community partnership and academic excellence toward the achievement of social and economic justice. The School of Professional and Continuing Studies is dedicated to serving the educational needs of working adults by offering: flexible modes of study (weekend/hybrid/online classes); affordable and accelerated degree programs; and opportunities for students to earn credit for prior college-level learning gained through work and/or life experience. The interdisciplinary curriculum focuses on the development of social analysis, critical thinking, communication skills, and leadership skills.
Successful applicants are invested in the School’s mission; enjoy- and are skilled in teaching and working with adult learners; appreciate the importance and complexity of working with diverse populations; and have content expertise in nonprofit management.
Required qualifications include:
· Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Technology, or related field from a regionally accredited college or university (or equivalent)
· Three years of experience as an instructional designer responsible for building blended and online courses within a learning management system in a higher education environment
· Knowledge of pedagogical and/or technological approaches best practices in an online learning environment
· Experience with web technologies, multimedia applications, and e-learning technologies
· Demonstrated ability to create educational content with tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Google apps, Captivate, Camtasia, and SoftChalk, etc.
· Strong project management and problem solving skills
· An expressed commitment to fostering a learning environment that values diversity, respect, and inclusion
· Five years of experience as an instructional designer responsible for building blended and online courses within a learning management system in a higher education environment
· Two years of experience teaching online in a college or university
· Doctoral degree in Instructional Design or closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university (or equivalent)
· Advanced training or certificates in instructional design and LMS utilization and management
· Knowledge of techniques for evaluating the effectiveness of instructional/educational programs
· Experience with initial startup and launch of online programs and with LMS migration or onboarding
· An in-depth understanding of emerging technologies related to teaching, learning, and training
· Web development and multimedia recording and editing skills preferred. Please submit a cover letter and resume to KColangelo@springfieldcollege.edu.
Springfield College is committed to enhancing diversity and equality in education and employment.
Type of position:
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
Internal Job Posting: